Wednesday 21 November 2012

Beat The Drums…. The Sun Came Out Today!

Just like the weather, my day yesterday had a little bit of everything in it - a trip to the garbage dump, some tech store browsing,  an experiment with Windows 8 followed by a late afternoon walk around the Cobble Hill Quarry lake in brilliant sunshine!!

We had exactly 2 hours of beautiful sunshine late yesterdayIMG_6538

Tuesday morning was miserable weather-wise.  We alternated it seems between rain and a torrential downpour.  Still, our garbage cans were overflowing so I figured it was time to get that done.  On the way home, I was driving right by Future Shop (same as Best Buy) and decided to drop in and take a look at all the latest gizmos.  It was pretty mind-boggling to see the variety of cellphones, tablets, laptops, iPads/iPhones, monitors and such.

A hands-on demo proved to me the full-size iPad is much betteripad_mini 1

What really caught my eye was a side-by-side demo of the iPad 4 and the iPad Mini.  Seeing them together convinced me more than ever that the full-sized iPad is the better deal.  The Mini is still too big to put in a pocket so what’s the advantage?  Besides, the Retina display on the IPad 4th generation is simply spectacular.  It was so good, I was very sorely tempted to just grab one and join the ‘dark side’.

Re-installing the operating system with Windows 8 is easyrefresh

Back home and safely away from temptation, I figured immersing myself in Windows 8 would make me forget all about Apple’s and iPads.  I set about trying a new feature included in Windows 8 called Refresh. Refresh is intended to re-install a new copy of Windows 8 and still retain all of your files, photos and settings.  It does remove all programs except those downloaded from the Windows Store. 

Molly and Rylie seemed surprised at not finding any SalmonIMG_6531

What this basically means, is that after running Refresh I would have to reinstall programs like Chrome, Live Writer, Picasa and Microsoft Office.  When I installed Windows 8 originally, I chose the upgrade method which saved pretty much everything including a bunch of junk programs I didn’t want.  Anyway, I ran Refresh, it worked as advertised and then I spent a few hours reinstalling or downloading only the programs I still wanted to keep.  I think it was worth it just to safely and permanently remove all the junk stuff I’d collected.

The swimming raft is safely lashed to the shore for the winterIMG_6540

By the time I was pretty much done getting my system back in order it was mid-afternoon and time to take Molly and Rylie for a walk.  Looking outside I was surprised to see it was complete sunshine!  We hustled out quick knowing that the rain would be coming back soon enough but we lucked out and managed to finish our walk around the Cobble Hill Lake Quarry well before the clouds and rain returned.

This is a spooky walk – one false step and it’s into the deep!IMG_6537

A8LlSrTCUAELCuW

Sports Illustrated’s cover this week featuring the Notre Dame Fighting Irish is sure to inflame the passions of college football fans –  some will love it, others will hate it.

For the first time since 1993, Notre Dame is the #1 ranked team in every college football poll including the all-important BCS.  A win over USC this week guarantees them a spot in the National Championship game.

I’m not sure why there seems to be so much passion involved with Notre Dame.  Is it because of their storied success?  A rabid national following?  Too much media attention?  A big Catholic University?  I have no idea.  All I really know for sure is that is one very nice looking magazine cover – it even has a bit of Latin!  If they lose on Saturday, then it may as well be Greek – and the Irish will be fighting!

Have a great Wednesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment