Sunday 25 November 2012

iPad Speech Recognition For Comments, Email Etc.

Just yesterday while playing around with the onscreen keyboard on my new iPad, I noticed a small microphone icon so I thought I’d check it out.  When I clicked on it, the mic lit up and began to flash, so I spoke a few words and clicked it again.  Some dots appeared in the comment box and in just a few seconds the words I spoke into the mic were converted perfectly into text on the display – amazing!

This video is shaky as I was holding my iPhone in one hand

Excited about this find, I quickly turned to other text entry screens like Gmail and Blogger comments and found the same thing – I can simply speak using the mic and my words are translated into text with an amazing degree of speed and accuracy.  The more I use and explore the capabilities of the iPad the more impressed I am with its versatility and unique ability to make mundane tasks simple and fun.

The message the iPad system converted from voice to textFullscreen capture 11242012 22158 PM-001

Whenever the microphone is visible, voice recognition is availableipad mic

This voice recognition on the iPad can be used for composing emails as well.  I composed a few in Gmail and was amazed at how accurate this system is.  Next, I opened up a new post in Blogsy and once again it was the same thing – extremely accurate. 

Just speak the punctuation and comments, iPad does the restipadvrpuncutation

To use voice recognition on the iPad you must be connected to the Internet either with WiFi or Cellular.  This is because the software that does the actual conversion is located on a server somewhere off in cyberland.  It’s incredibly fast though.  If you have an iPad 3 or higher and haven’t tried voice recognition, then give it a try the next time you want to leave a comment on a blog – it’s fun!

A picture perfect day for a walk around Thetis Lake ParkIMG_6603

In non-computer and iPad news, it was a crisp, cool fall day so we took advantage of it by going for a hike clear around Thetis Lake Saturday afternoon.  A lot of folks with their dogs had the same idea so Molly and Rylie had fun meeting up with ‘friends’ around every bend on the trail.  There were a lot of Labs and Retrievers jumping into the ice cold water to chase sticks and stuff – I still don’t know how they can do that.

Rylie and Molly (Paulette, too) will look but never jump inIMG_6598 

A8LlSrTCUAELCuW

Last night I watched #1 ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish defeat the USC Trojans 22-13 to finish their season undefeated with a record of 12-0.

This means Notre Dame will remain at #1 in the BCS rankings and are headed for the National Championship game in Miami on January 7, 2013.

A week ago, I mentioned Notre Dame in my blog and usually that’s a sure kiss of death for any sports team I happen to say is having a good year or it’s especially bad if I ever happen to predict a win.  It was a close game for most of the way and a nice way to spend a Saturday evening at home.

Have a great Sunday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment