Saturday 10 November 2012

Our Last Of The Season Hike Up Mt. Tzouhalem

With a clear blue sky above and the sun shining brightly, Paulette and I along with Molly and Rylie took what will likely be our last hike for this year at least, up Mt. Tzouhalem on Friday.  We didn’t go all the way to the top of the mountain as we have in other hikes over the summer because we wanted to stay in the warm sunshine.  It was still a good trek though as we walked about 2/3rds of the way up.

A nice view of Lake Quamichan from the halfway pointIMG_6372

Wanting to stay in the sunshine was a good idea yesterday as it was a bit chilly – especially in the middle of a forest.  Friday morning we had our first real frost of this fall.  When I took the muttzo’s out for their morning walk, I noticed the windshields on our vehicles were completely covered in frost.  The temperatures in the afternoon only got up to the high 40’s so it was quite cool.

The Oak Trees are pretty much completely bare nowIMG_6375

racketeerBy the time we arrived back home in mid-afternoon it was too late to think about any projects – come to think of it, it was far too late to even think about starting any projects!

Instead, I got my e-Reader, and sat down in Paulette’s comfy Lazy Girl in our TV room and continued to read John Grisham’s new novel The Racketeer

Maybe I’ve read too many of Grisham’s novels but this new one just seems a bit tedious to me.  It’s not a real page turner as far as I’m concerned.  I’m a little over half-way through it and I find it quite easy to put down and catch a nap instead of reading.  That’s pretty much what I did yesterday afternoon!

There was still a very light misty fog laying over the valleyIMG_6383

Sue (The Moho And Other Traveling Tales) asked in a comment if the Shingles vaccine I got the other day made me sick.  The actual needle stung a bit because of the way it had to be given but I haven’t had any reaction or side effects that I’ve noticed other than a slight tenderness around the spot where the needle was given.  I’ll live though and hopefully won’t have to worry about Shingles!

poppy ladyEvery once in a while I get a real pleasant surprise in the form of a comment or email resulting from one of my posts.  So it was yesterday when I received an email from Barbara Walsh the author of The Poppy Lady.

It’s always amazing to me to find out there are folks out there in blogland who we least expect to run across one of our posts do so and take the time to respond.

Here, in part, is what Barbara Walsh wrote in her email:

I didn't want to respond in public because I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to take away from your thoughts by publicizing my newly released book about Moina.

For eight years, I worked on the book under the guidance of her two-great nieces, Elinor and Lucia, and also my Dad, who met Moina during World War II. Dad turned 98 in July and still remembers Moina's kindness to him as a young soldier about to go off to war.

I'm hoping my book will help revive the poppy tradition in the United States and raise awareness of veterans and families.

The title of my book is "The Poppy Lady: Moina Belle Michael and Her Tribute to Veterans." My proceeds will support Operation Purple, a program of the National Military Family Association, which benefits children of the U.S. military.

I replied immediately to Barbara asking for her permission to publish her email as a comment on my blog as I thought there may be readers who might be interested in her book – especially since her proceeds are going to such a worthy cause.  Details of where this book can be purchased are available from her website.

Have a great Saturday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment