Thursday 22 November 2012

The ‘Dark Side’ Lured Me In – My New iPad 4

With Apple’s iPad, Microsoft’s Surface, Amazon’s Kindle and Google Nexus I was beginning to feel just a bit behind the times in the huge computer tablet wars.  Not wanting to drift off into the nether world of obsolete techies, I decided it was time to get on board and see what all the hub-bub was about.  After much consideration, I chose what I consider to be the Cadillac of Tablet’s – the Apple iPad 4.

I finally gave in to the ‘Dark Side’ for a long overdue look Fullscreen capture 11212012 41749 PM

That doesn’t mean I paid a Cadillac price though as I opted for the base model iPad 4th Generation WiFi only, 16GB model for $499.  I also bought a leather Smart Cover and Apple’s Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard as I’m not much for typing on a glass screen.  As is the case with all Apple products, the packaging was perfect with extreme attention to every detail.  Apple stuff is always fun to open.

Apple’s wireless Bluetooth keyboard – it’s a perfect iPad additionIMG_6561

Once I took the protective cover off the iPad itself, a card told me to press the on key and follow the setup instructions.  I did just that and in less than 5 minutes I was connected to our home WiFi network and browsing a few websites.  The first thing I noticed was how crisp and sharp the Retina display is.  It is amazing and apparently has 1 million more pixels than an HDTV.  The new WiFi system is blazing fast – way faster than my laptop or my iPhone.

The actual QWERTY keys are bigger on the Apple than my desktopIMG_6562

Since I’ve been using my iPhone for quite a while now I found the iPad to be simple to figure out and navigate.  Within a few minutes, I was able to connect to my Gmail, Contacts and Calendar info so that’s all setup just the way I like it and it’s all synced as well. 

My Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard, iPad and Leather Smart CoverIMG_6554

Setting up the wireless Bluetooth keyboard was also simple.  This keyboard is interesting as it’s larger than most laptop keyboards and very much the same as the keys on my desktop keyboard.  It’s very solid, doesn’t slide around and has a nice, solid, feel and a tactile click to it while typing.  It seems to me to be a better keyboard than most laptops.  With the iPad stand and keyboard it’s like a laptop!

iPad screen compared to my iPhone 4 – that is a big difference!IMG_6582

One of the major decisions I had to make in buying this iPad was whether or not to get the ‘Cellular’ or ‘WiFi’ only version.  I opted for WiFi only because it cost $100 less and the Cellular would require a Data Plan from a carrier – more cost!  Instead, I’ll use my home WiFi and when I’m out and about with the iPad I can simply turn on my iPhone Personal Hotspot to provide iPad Internet access.

The $499 question now is what am I going to use this fantastic little gizmo for?  That’s pretty much the same question I asked myself when I bought my iPhone 4.  Before long, my iPhone 4 had pretty much replaced my laptop as my favourite device for quick and easy access to email, websites and many other web activities.  Maybe the same thing will happen with this iPad.  I’ll just have to wait and see, but so far, it’s been a lot of fun just playing around with it.

thanksgiving

Have a great Thanksgiving Day in the U.S., and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment