Saturday 18 May 2013

A 50-50 Weather Day But I Still Got To BBQ A Pizza

It was mostly an inside day for both Paulette and I on Friday as it was raining off and on most of the time.  The rain stopped a bit after 2pm so we were able to get out for our walk without getting soaked.  We didn’t go far, just down to Manley Creek Park by Cowichan Bay, as it was still overcast and looking like it could start raining again any minute.  We lucked out though.

This photo pretty much sums up what Friday was like around hereIMG_4459

It’s a holiday long weekend here in Canada for Victoria Day and this weekend typically kicks off the summer camping season.  Before driving over to the park, we had to stop at the grocery store down by the hi-way to pick up a few items and while parked there I saw dozens of RV’s heading north for the campgrounds and Provincial Parks of Parksville, Qualicum Beach and more points north.  The first campers of the season are always an eager bunch and they go rain or shine!

Bridge over Manley CreekIMG_4465

It looks like the weekend might turn out o.k. as the sun came out here just before dinner time and it turned out to be a beautiful evening.  I sure hope it’s nice on Saturday because both our front and back lawns need cutting.  The recent rain combined with warm temps has caused the grass to grow like crazy!

Looking down at Manley Creek from the bridgeIMG_4464

Manley Park is a small but nice park to go for a hike in the afternoon.  It has a very steep downhill grade to the beach and the walk back up sure gets the old heart rate up.  It was very quiet there yesterday afternoon as I think we were the only ones in the park or on the beach itself. 

IMG_4460

Now that I’m on a roll with my little Weber Q120 having successfully cooked a Beef Roast on it a few days ago, I thought I’d venture a little further into BBQ Chefville and try a pizza.  To test this out, I just bought an uncooked fresh Hawaiian Pizza at our local supermarket.  BBQ’ing a pizza couldn’t be simpler.  I just put a pizza stone (12” fits on the Q120), heated the Q to 450F and then slipped the pizza on the hot Pizza Stone and closed the lid.

IMG_4467

I opened it 20 minutes later and the pizza was cooked.  The crust was just a teeny bit crispy so next time I’ll cut the time down by a few minutes.  This just adds one more meal that we can make while RVing where we don’t have to bother with the gas oven.  That’s especially important to us while we’re in Palm Springs as the last thing we need there is an oven heating up the whole rig. 

Paulette was busy in the kitchen too!IMG_4470

While I was slaving away over a hot BBQ making pizza, Paulette was busy in the kitchen whipping up a batch of Chocolate Chip cookies – my favorite.  I’d like to think she made them just for me but I happen to know that Maggie and her fiancé, Toby, are dropping in for a visit sometime this weekend so I’m pretty sure that’s what the baking was about.  Doesn’t matter to me though!

george

It was fun yesterday morning to actually have a live video ‘Hangout’ with George (Our Awesome Travels) – aka the ‘Weber Q Man of Blogland’!

We had a great face to face chat just like we were sitting together in one of our RV’s.  I had sent out an email to the participants of the Hangout we have scheduled for this Monday to see if anyone wanted to test their connection. 

Just a few minutes later, there was George’s smiling face right on my big 22” computer screen. Thanks for calling, George, I enjoyed our conversation and I’m looking forward to seeing you again this Monday.

Have a great Saturday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment