Saturday 11 May 2013

Reuniting With My Old Retired Friends For Lunch

This coming June will mark my 14th year of retirement.  Since then, as I’ve written about many times before in this blog, I’ve been getting together for lunch once a month, except for July and August, with a few of the guys I’d worked so long with.  I miss these lunches, of course, when we’re down in Palm Springs but I was happy to get a reminder last week that the “ole retired guys’ were meeting up again for lunch on Friday! 

A great place for lunch or dinner in Victoriafour mile

We met at the Four Mile House Pub and Restaurant in Victoria.  It was great catching up with my friends again as I’d worked with Dave, Nirmal and Cliff for 30 years before retiring.  We also welcomed a newcomer to our group yesterday – my friend Jim who retired just this February.  Jim’s pretty much a rookie as he only worked with us for a mere 12 years.  We had a great time rehashing old times, solving all the worlds problems and straightening out a few sports teams!

Looks like I left a few readers “stumped” about default image sizing IMG_4328

In my recent post talking about the change to my blog’s template, I inadvertently left a few readers “stumped”!  That was my fault when I said the following:

“Perhaps the biggest change in this new template is that my photos will now display with a default width of 520px rather than just 420px.”

I’ve received a few  emails asking me where in the Blog Template or Layout did I make this change to the default size?  All I can say is “oops”!!  The default size for images has nothing to do with the Blog Template or Layout is a function of Live Writer which I use for writing and publishing my blog.  I should have made that clear in my post.  My Template change simply increased the width by 100 pixels.

IMG_4334

It was around 2pm by the time I got back from lunch in Victoria and after a quick check of my emails and other news on the computer, we were off to Cobble Hill Mountain with the muttzo’s for an afternoon hike up to the Water Tower.  Even with the lack of rain over the past month, the forest is still lush and green. 

IMG_4332 

That’s attributable to the heavy growth of ferns and other plants covering the forest floor.  We noticed a lot of trees down that had been blown over in winter storms.  It used to be, in the parks, that trees knocked over in storms were cleared out of sight.  Now, they are left where they fell unless they are blocking a trail.  Naturalists determined that it was much better to leave the trees as they provide shelter and nutrients for thousands of insects and other creatures.

IMG_4337

When trees do block trails and paths, crews are soon sent out to cut them up and haul them away to prevent any injuries caused by people tripping over them. 

IMG_4333

Back home after our hike, I spent some time answering emails with respect to questions about Google+ and comments etc.  It’s a complicated situation but for now most bloggers and, I think all RV Bloggers, are sticking with the basic Blogger Comment System instead of the just announced Google+ Comment integration.  I think that’s a good plan because Google is assessing the feedback they’ve been getting and I expect we’ll be hearing more about this before too long.

Have a great Saturday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment