Saturday 25 May 2013

Bridges Falling Down And A Visitor For The Weekend

It sure was weird and just a little disconcerting to see all the pictures and videos on the news of the bridge collapse in Washington St. yesterday.  It felt a bit weird because we’ve crossed over that same bridge on I-5 between Burlington and Mt. Vernon dozens of times over the years.  Sure, it took a truck carrying an oversize load that struck an upper span to knock the bridge down but I’d hope most of the bridges we cross are a bit stronger than that!

A bridge on I-5 over the Skagit River collapsesbridge collapse

That may not be the case though as I read reports indicating there are as many as 70,000 “structurally deficient bridges across the country."   Congress was asked to set aside $50 billion to repair some of these bridges starting with the most urgent ones but instead transportation repair is facing a $1.9 billion cut.  I guess all we can do is drive across sketchy looking bridges and hope for the best.  I sure hope the Coronado Bridge in San Diego is o.k. – I love that one!!

IMG_4551

I spent all of Friday morning working on computer issues as Paulette had gone to Nanaimo with her friends Claire, Sandy and Julie for a Quilt Show.  By noon, I’d about had it wracking my brain over a simple yet frustratingly complicated problem with the Feedburner app for a fellow blogger.  Just before noon, and after several attempts to get the faulty Feedburner “burning” again, it magically woke up and began to slowly chug away.  By late afternoon, all seemed well again.  That seemed like a good time to hit the road with Molly and Rylie and go for a hike!

IMG_4552

Another reason I wanted to go early was that I didn’t really have any idea when Paulette would be back from Nanaimo.  Maggie was coming over for the weekend so she could go to Carrie’s first Baby Shower with Paulette on Saturday.  Maggie lives in Vancouver and guess where the Ferry was taking her?  Nanaimo.  Since Paulette couldn’t hang around with friends until well after dinner, that meant we had to drive up to meet the Ferry so Paulette got 2 trips up-Island in one day!

IMG_4550

It started to look like rain by the time I left home with Molly and Rylie so a long hike was not a good idea.  I thought I’d drive out to one of the Cowichan River Parks near Skutz Falls as it’s not too far along the trails down to the river.  That worked out great as we managed to sneak in an hour of sunshine.  We were lucky as on the way home the rain started to pound down in earnest.  I was home by 3pm and Paulette pulled up with her friends about 15 minutes later. 

IMG_4536

Maggie caught the 7:30pm sailing from Vancouver so we left just before 8pm to pick her up in Nanaimo when she arrived at 9.  The baby shower for Carrie is in  Victoria on Saturday afternoon.  Carrie went for another 3-D type ultrasound Friday morning and the baby is doing fine.  From what the doctor’s told her the baby is due sometime in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Have a great Saturday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment