Sunday 12 May 2013

A Saturday Afternoon Hike To The Kinsol Trestle

We were up a little earlier than normal on Saturday morning as Paulette was heading down to Victoria for a big neighborhood community garage sale she likes to go to each year.  By 7:30am, she was already out the door and on the road.  That left me with lots of time for an extra cup of coffee before taking Molly and Rylie for a morning walk and then having breakfast.

IMG_4352

The only job on my schedule for Saturday was to cut the back lawn.  I’m actually getting to like pushing my little gas powered Lawn Boy around the yard.  We’ll see how I feel about that as the summer and fall months go on. 

IMG_4344

Paulette got home from her garage sale just after lunch.  I was kind of surprised as I didn’t expect her back until closer to 3pm.  That worked out well though as after we had a bite to eat we decided to check out the Kinsol Trestle for the first time this year. 

IMG_4346

Although we’ve been to the Kinsol Trestle quite a bit, we never tire of seeing this magnificent wooden structure that hails back to the early part of the 20th century here on Vancouver Island.  Long before the Island Hi-way was built, the railroad was the only means of transporting logs, lumber and coal down to Victoria.  How they managed to build this trestle by hand is still a mystery to me.

IMG_4348

One of the reasons we like visiting the trestle so much is because it’s a good hike to get there.  Once we park the car, it’s about a 1.5 mile walk along a nice wide crushed gravel trail to get to the actual trestle spanning the Koksilah River.  A 3 mile hike is good enough for me most any day!

IMG_4350

We ran across a few dozen other people, and several dogs too, who were also taking advantage of a nice afternoon to go for a walk.  We spent about 2 hours walking around the trails by the trestle before heading back down the trail to where we parked the car.  The trail is pretty flat so it’s a fairly easy hike for us.  Still, it was good to get back to the car and sit down!

I bet if who ever owns this house became an RVer, he’d be a boondocker!IMG_4358

Last night, I watched one of the Stanley Cup playoff hockey games while Paulette was busy in her sewing room and listening to one of her audio books.  Later, I read a few blogs but even Blogland was relatively quiet yesterday with not much going on anywhere.  In fact, there was more action taking place over on Google+ – it has really been picking up steam lately, especially over the last month.  There are a of RV bloggers showing up in G+ Circles that I’d never read before.

IMG_4362

Shortly after dinner last night it started to rain which was a very welcome sight to see and sounds to hear.  As I’m finishing this post it’s just after 9pm and it it’s still continuing to rain.  I hope it pours all night as we sure need it. 

Have a great Mother’s Day, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment