Wednesday 22 May 2013

Shopping For A Baby Crib And Views From Mt. Tolmie

Our main task on Tuesday was to pick up Carrie in Victoria to go shopping for a  baby crib.  Our first Grandson is due around the second week of June so Paulette and I wanted to make sure he has a nice warm bed to come home to – and a quilt to keep him warm, of course!  After checking on-line for crib styles, types and consumer safety reports, we all agreed that Sears had as good a selection as anyone, along with competitive pricing, so that’s where we headed.

Stork Craft Carrara Stages 4-in-1 Crib 

baby crib

When I first started looking at baby cribs on-line, I was amazed to see how much these units have progressed over the years.  It didn’t take us long to realize that one of the conversion type cribs might be a good deal as they can easily be made up into different styles to make them last a few years longer than normal.  I’m not much of a shopper – I’m more of a waiter, so when we got to Sears, I left Paulette and Carrie to do the shopping while I took off for an hour with Molly and Rylie.

baby crib 1 baby crib 2 baby crib 3

When I returned an hour later, I was shocked to see Paulette and Carrie already waiting at the front door of Sears.  I figured the shopping trip must have been a bust because it’s unheard of for them to actually finish up early.  I mean there’s a whole store full of stuff in there!  But, I was wrong.  They looked at all the cribs, had their Internet notes for asking questions, Carrie picked out the crib she liked and that was it.  All done in a flash.  I didn’t even have to haul any boxes as Sears will deliver the crib right to Carrie’s door!

That’s Sears in the middle of this photo and downtown Victoria at the topIMG_4496

When I left Paulette and Carrie at Sears, I carried on with Molly and Rylie to drive up to the top of nearby Mt. Tolmie.  The viewpoint at the top provides a 360 degree look at the city of Victoria.  It was pretty overcast yesterday morning but still clear enough for a great view of downtown Victoria and Juan de Fuca Straits in the background.  On a clear day with blue skies, one can see all the way over to Port Angeles in Washington State.

Panoramic view of Victoria, B.C.panorama_victoria

The very top of Mt. Tolmie is dedicated as a park with trails winding down the back of the mountain.  Molly and Rylie had been stuck in the car for a while so they really appreciated the chance to get out and stretch their legs a bit and do some exploring in a new to them park.

Looking north from Mt. Tolmie to another Victoria landmark – Mt. DouglasIMG_4495

Mt. Tolmie has always been a very special place for our family as my Mother and Father lived on the west slopes, overlooking the city, for over 30 years.  We spent countless visits at my parents’ celebrating birthdays, holidays, weddings, parties and all kinds of special and ordinary events and all the time being able to enjoy the spectacular view of the city below us.  It is a wonderful spot.

An intriguing pathway in Mt. Tolmie Park – down into the rabbit-hole!IMG_4510

After I picked up Paulette and Carrie we found a Starbucks and had a coffee outside before dropping Carrie off at her condo.  Our route home took us right by Thetis Lake Park which is one of our very favourite hiking trails.  This was a perfect opportunity to get our daily hike in so we stopped and did the 1 hour loop trail around the lake before heading home.  It’s kind of late this evening as I’m writing this (I watched a couple of hockey games on TV) so I’ll save the Thetis Lake hike for tomorrow’s post.

Big sister Lola sharing her bone with little sister Scout

Erin reports from Calgary that little Scout is, so far, a perfect little pup.  That’s great news but if I remember correctly, Rylie was a perfect little pup too but grew up to be a holy terror!  I’m sure those two will have a great chat this summer!!

Have a great Wednesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment