Saturday 23 March 2013

A Birdie, A Swim And A Happy Hour

It was another beautiful day here in Desert Hot Springs and especially so since I never had to get in our truck and drive anywhere.  I always like days like that even when the weather may not be so good.  But, yesterday was in the 80’s again and the winds never really picked up until dusk.  The lighter breezes we had during the day were actually quite refreshing.

Our hostess Jennifer making everyone feel welcomeIMG_1369

 

Ever since I took up golf here at the Sands during our winter vacation last year, I have been trying to get my first “birdie”.  In dozen of rounds of golf I never managed to achieve getting the golf ball in the birdiehole in one stroke less than par.  I’d come close enough including one time this year when all I had to do was sink a 3 foot putt – but I choked!  I’ve rimmed the hole and bounced out but always found some way to fail - until yesterday.  Hallelujah! 

On the 8th hole, a par 3, I hit my tee shot about 30 ft. short of the green.  Using a pitching wedge, I popped the ball up into the air and watched as it landed softly on the green, slowly rolled toward the pin and bingo – it dropped in for a birdie!  My golf year is now complete!

IMG_1370

While I was golfing, Paulette and Sandy were out and about at Costco, Jo-Ann’s and I don’t know where else.  Sandy is heading for home on Sunday so I guess they were out on one last run to stock up on sale items at Jo-Ann’s and to resupply at Costco for the trip home.  Sandy has been converted into an avid, almost sickness grade, quilting fanatic this year.  By this time next year the quilting disease will have taken a firm hold and will be incurable.

The food was great – my favourite was the ‘Poppers’IMG_1365

Not long after Paulette arrived home, I went up to the pool for a swim just to cool off a bit.  Even with the breeze it was still very hot and pool felt great, especially after 2 hours on the golf course.  I guess I’ll never understand boondocking out in the dry, gritty desert on a hot afternoon when I can float on my back in a swimming pool looking up at clear blue skies and the gentle swaying of the Palms.

I’m not sure if this was a new camera for Sandy or notIMG_1380

Back at our site, Paulette was already sitting outside in her “shade room”.  That looked like a great idea so I joined her and soon found myself drifting off into siesta land for brief periods.  It wasn’t long before it was almost 5pm and time to head over to Jennifer and Tom’s site for a ‘Year-End Happy Hour’ with a lot of the friends who have been with us here at the Sands for the past 3 or 4 months.

The ‘Big Bear’ is a favourite at our dog parkIMG_1377

Jennifer and Tom were great hosts and there were so many guests we had to commandeer part of the road out in front of their site.  It was an “appy-potluck” affair and the food was terrific.  There was certainly no danger of wanting to go out for dinner after sampling a little, or a lot, of all the great things to eat.  So, thanks again to Jennifer and Tom for a great party and a wonderful evening.

IMG_1363

After getting back to our rig, Paulette took Molly and Rylie for a long walk around many of the ‘street loops’ in the park.  If we don’t do that each night, Rylie tends to treat our 5’er as a race track until she eventually runs out of energy around 9pm!  It’s always best to try and tire her out long before we want to sit back and relax in the evening.

Have a great Saturday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment