Tuesday 5 March 2013

A Small Job, Swimming, Golf And A Little History

One day last week a parcel arrived in the mail addressed to me which is extremely unusual.  It was a new Propane Regulator Assembly for my Weber Q100 grill.  After buying a new Weber Q120 when the old one wouldn’t work I’d forgotten all about ordering a new regulator.  I figured this would be a nice easy job for a Monday morning.

My new Weber Q100 propane regulator arrived last weekIMG_1096

It looked pretty simple to install and it was.  All I needed was a screwdriver and a small wrench.  The old regulator came off easily and the new one slid right into place just like it was supposed to.  The part was absolutely identical as well and the same quality as the original – just like it was advertised.

All installed and works as good as newIMG_1099

After installing the new regulator and connecting it to a propane tank I was ready for the big test.  I turned the valves on, hit the ignition button a few times and voila!!  I had a nice hot flame burning.  So now I am the proud owner of both a Weber Q100 and a Q120 BBQ Grill.  The second grill will come in handy when we’re BBQ for a large group here at the Sands.  Total cost of this repair was $30.

Our friend Sandy won $50 on the Quilter’s recent Shop Hop TourP1220623

Our friend Sandy was the big winner of a draw for $50 worth of merchandise from the Cherry Berry Quilt Shop in Cala Mesa, CA.  Sandy was one of the 11 quilters from the Sands who were on the Shop Hop.  Each store held a draw to select a winner of the $50 prize.  It wasn’t just the quilters from the Sands RV Park on this hop shop as it was open to all quilt shop customers and clubs.

Spent some time on the Sands golf course yesterdayIMG_0064

We were up into the 80s again Monday so my golfing buddy Mel thought we should book a late afternoon tee time so we wouldn’t burn up on the golf course.  We got a 3:45 tee time which was just about perfect.  The weather had cooled down a bit, the course was near empty by that time and we cruised around in less than 90 minutes.  I got a par on the first hole and should have quit then!!

And some time in the poolIMG_5196[4][2]

Having a late afternoon game of golf gave me lots of time to go up to the pool for a swim beforehand.  With the hotter weather we’ve been having the pool is becoming a pretty popular place to hang out.  It’s much busier now than it was back in early February that’s for sure.  I generally just swim a few laps, float around on my back for a while and then relax in the hot tub before heading back.

Borrego Springs Christmas Circle Mystery solvedIMG_1050[3]

Thanks to my crack Blog Reading Research Team I now know how Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs got its name.  I blogged about my quick visit to Borrego Springs last week and wondered why the town centre was called Christmas Circle. TexCyn left a comment on my blog saying:

According to tradition the Park was named in honor of the birth of Salvador Ignacio Linares in Coyote Canyon on Christmas Eve in 1775.

Thanks, TexCyn, I appreciate you taking the time to look that up and let me know.  Now, who in the heck was Salvador Ignacio Linares and how did he come to be born in Borrego Springs in 1775?  I figured I’d better look that one up myself.  So, off to Maharashi Google!

deAnzaStatue

On Monday morning, October 23, 1775, at the Royal Presidio of San Ignacio de Tubac, in what is today south central Arizona, Lieutenant Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza gave the command, "Everybody mount!" and his column of soldiers, vaqueros, muleteers, aids, servants and pioneers took to the saddle, ready to commence Spain’s first major expedition to settle California.

trail07_mark1

Christmas Eve found the colonists toiling up a fissure called Coyote Canyon. They came to the location of the villages of Indians known as "Los Danzantes" northwest of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park.  It was here that a woman named Maria Gertrudis Rivas gave birth, at half past eleven at night, to a boy who was named Salvador Ignacio Linares, or as he was called – “The Christmas Babe”.

Have a great Tuesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment