Sunday 24 March 2013

The Early Bird Gets The Worm … But Not Breakfast

It was only 6:45am when I heard those words Saturday morning and I was just sort of waking up.  It was Paulette, all dressed and ready to go to some big community garage sale over in Palm Desert.  It took me a minute, but I gradually remembered telling her I would go with her as long as we didn’t leave until 7:30am.  So, quickly I was up to grab a cup of coffee and get ready to go.

Who goes to garage sales before 8am?  All these crazy people!IMG_1400

By 7:29am we were out the door – I never even had a chance to have breakfast.  All I was able to do was finish my coffee while I quickly browsed a few blogs.  If I normally leave a comment on your blog each morning and there wasn’t one Saturday then you can blame Paulette because we had to be out the door by 7:30am as “the early bird gets the worm.”

Who needs a genuine Ranch Mink Coat in Palm Springs????IMG_1389

Who goes to a garage sale at 7:30 in the morning?  I was amazed – lots of folks.  When we pulled into the huge parking lot where the community garage sale was being held it was already packed – I mean a few hundred people!  Just shows what I know about garage sales – not much.  Paulette joined the throng by jumping out of the truck before I even headed off to find a parking spot. 

How about a saddle for your horse?  What horse?IMG_1384

After parking, I walked around all the booths and tables with Molly and Rylie in tow.  To me, it just looked like piles of junk!  Old mugs, old clothes, ugly paintings, cd’s, dvd’s, glasses, dishes, chairs and even a saddle for a horse and a mink coat.  But, everywhere I looked folks were buying this stuff and hauling it out to their cars only to come back for more.  I spotted Paulette in the crowd and was thankful to see she was pretty much empty-handed.

IMG_1408

Finally, after about an hour of wandering around, I saw Paulette on the last row and she waved saying she was ready to go.  Walking back to the truck she said “boy, was that ever great, if we were home I’d have bought a ton of stuff”!!  I never said a word, but couldn’t help wondering were we at the same garage sale?

I like the Palm Springs neighbourhood garage sales – interesting!!IMG_1410

IMG_1411

Leaving Palm Desert, we headed west on Hwy. 111 towards Palm Springs and a big neighbourhood garage sale involving over 40 homes.  Luckily, all of these homes were in the same area and all within a few blocks of each other so there was very little driving.

That’s Paulette behind the iron gate looking for ‘bargoons’IMG_1412

I have to admit, I do like going to the neighbourhood garage sales in Palm Springs as the different style homes are so interesting to see and some of them are really outstanding in both architecture, features and landscaping.

Doesn’t this guy look very much like our friend Paul Dahl??IMG_1436

Another great think about garage sales in Palm Springs is you never know who you might run into.  It could be a movie star, TV celebrity, a friend from our RV park or even a fellow blogger.  I was sure it was Paul Dahl (R Sanity RV Adventures) sitting on a rock outside one house perhaps, like me, just waiting for his wife.  But, try as I may to strike up a conversation, he just wouldn’t talk.  It was all “hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil”!  Who knows?

IMG_1423

We toured the Palm Springs neighbourhood for about 90 minutes before deciding to call it a garage sale day.  It was getting close to 80F by the time we pulled into the Sands a little after 11am.  First thing we did was grab some breakfast – garage sales work up an appetite. 

IMG_1416

The rest of our day was pretty quiet.  We found a shady spot outside and just relaxed for a while.  In mid-afternoon we went up to the pool for a swim just to cool off a bit.  I think the pool is the thing I’m going to miss most about leaving the Sands in a few weeks.  We did go out Saturday night with some friends but I’ll leave that for my next post as I’m quickly reaching my 750 word post target.

Have a great Sunday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment