Wednesday 27 March 2013

More Snowbird Awards – Today It’s All About Food!

Thanks to everyone who commented on yesterday’s post about my 2013 MVP Snowbird Gizmo Awards – it was fun.  Since all I did on Tuesday was lie around outside reading and go up to the pool for a swim in the afternoon (which doesn’t make for very exciting blogs), I thought I’d pass out a few more 2013 Snowbird awards for a topic I like even more than Gizmos – that would be great food!

Best Hamburger:  5 Guys in La QuintaIMG_0602

My award for the best burger in the Palm Springs area definitely has to go to 5 Guys!  These burgers beat runner up In-N-Out by a whole meat patty and a bag of fries.  These burgers are terrific and if you do happen to go only get one order of fries for the two of you because you’ll never be able to eat them all.  As for toppings on your burger, the choices can’t be beat – All American, Hot Mexican or if you’re really hungry go for both!

Best Deli Sandwich:  Sherman’s Deli Grilled RuebenIMG_0196

I tried my first Grilled Reuben with sauerkraut and swiss cheese at Sherman’s this year and it was every bit as good as the waiter said it would be when she recommended it.  It’s their top-selling sandwich and after trying to eat this monster I can see why.  I managed to get through half of it and brought the other half home for lunch the next day.  Hmmm…the actual truth is I only ate half because I was saving room for Sherman’s to die for Carrot Cake.

Best Pot-Luck Dinner:  Quilters Club at Seattle Judy’sIMG_0634

We’ve been lucky to have been invited to several pot-luck dinners here at the Sands this season.  One of the best was in early February at Seattle Judy’s Park Model home here at the Sands.  Why is she called Seattle Judy?  I asked Paulette and was told it was to distinguish all the different Judy’s in Quilting.  There’s Calgary Judy, a Heritage Judy and maybe even a few more – I guess it works!

IMG_0644

Not only were the hamburgers, salads and all the fixin’s good at the Quilter’s Pot Luck the desserts were extra special delicious.  We had a bit of everything!

Best Pizza:  Villiagio’s Pizza in Palm Desert.IMG_0659

Picking the best pizza is a tough one for me because I like them all.  But this year I have to go with Villiagio’s Pizza in Palm Desert.  This was a new restaurant for us and we were celebrating our big 2nd place win in the park’s Trivial Pursuit Night.  Maybe it was the great company that made the pizza taste better but in any event it was a winner.  A close second was the California Pizza Kitchen in downtown Palm Springs and also Rocky’s New York Pizza in Desert Hot Springs.

Best Mexican Restaurant:  La Casa Grande in Desert Hot SpringsIMG_0935

In our previous stays in Palm Springs Paulette and I have always regarded downtown’s La Casuela’s as our favourite Mexican restaurant.  Although it’s very close, this year we have to go with a small Mexican food restaurant closer to home – La Casa Grande right here on Pierson Ave. in Desert Hot Springs.  We’ve been for dinner there twice this year and it’s excellent and very reasonable prices!

Best Pie in the whole World:  Mom’s Apple Pie from Julien, CAIMG_1071

This wasn’t even close – it was my easiest call.  Mom’s Apple Pie from the little town of Julien, 2 hours and 4,000 ft. up from Palm Springs, is the best Paulette and I have ever tasted.  I bought 4 of these pies at $15.95 each and they were worth every penny.  By the way, others who sampled these pies agreed that they are the best!  If you go to Julien, buy more than one as you won’t be sorry.

Best Breakfast:  Pinocchio’s in downtown Palm SpringsIMG_1165

Great food.  Great atmosphere!  Bottomless glasses of Champagne for $3.95 beginning at 7:30am until they close at 3pm.  Pinocchio’s is packed all the time and we could see why after having our first ever breakfast there just a few weeks ago.  Eating outside on a patio table at 75F in the morning made it extra special.  We’ll be going back here for breakfast next year for sure!

Have a great Wednesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment