Monday 11 March 2013

A Hot One And More Reasons To Like eReaders

It was a nice warm Sunday here in Desert Hot Springs with the temperature up into the low 80’s.  After the strong, gusty winds we’ve had for the past few days, yesterday was just a nice warm breeze!  The park was back to its hustling, bustling self with lots of folks at the swimming pool, out on the golf course or just at their sites either relaxing or doing odd jobs and chores.

IMG_0491

Speaking of chores, it was a laundry morning for Paulette and empty the holding tanks for me kind of start.  Paulette isn’t using the Laundromat at the Sands anymore as there never seems to be enough washers and dryers.  Instead, she’s using a Laundromat just down the road towards Palm Springs that has plenty of washers and dryers with no waiting.  She has settled into Sunday mornings as the time to take care of laundry.

IMG_0492

I did get up to the pool for a swim yesterday afternoon.  The pool is all back in tip-top shape after being emptied and re-filled last week.  It was pretty busy up at poolside but most folks were just sitting around in loungers enjoying the sunshine.  As for golf, I didn’t go out yesterday but I did catch some of the World Golf Championships at Doral, Florida on TV.  Tiger Woods won pretty easily.

killing floorOne of the things I really like about having an eReader is how easy it is to find and get old books.  For instance, a while ago a reader suggested I might like books written by Lee Child of “Jack Reacher” novels fame. 

At the time, all I knew about Jack Reacher was it was a new movie starring Tom Cruise.  I don’t care for Tom Cruise either as an actor or a person so the news he was portraying Jack Reacher in the movie kind of turned me against even trying one of Child’s books.

Desktop2

One night, I ran out of books to read and I realized it was kind of dumb of me not to at least try one of Lee Child’s books simply because of my dislike for Tom Cruise.  I decided to start at the beginning and searched Kobobooks to find Child’s first Jack Reacher novel Killing Floor.  I’m glad I did because I enjoyed it and am now on my 4th Jack Reacher novel with 12 more to go!

IMG_0648

There were a lot of good and interesting comments left on my blog yesterday regarding boondocking.  The cost of fuel to run generators is one factor I’d never even thought of as a reason why some folks have given up on boondocking.  Without a solar setup of some kind the cost of fuel for a generator could be as much as $10-12 a day.

IMG_1060[3]

Another reason I thought of after just might be that today’s MH’s are bigger, fancier and definitely have more slides than MH’s of the past.  Maybe folks don’t want to risk damaging their nice, big, shiny rigs out in the desert.  Or, maybe people are very concerned about what it would cost to have a remote RV Tech visit to try and fix-up a broken slide, levelling jack or other piece of equipment out in the middle of nowhere.  Or, maybe it’s simply not having a pool!!

Have a great Monday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment