Monday 15 April 2013

A Quiet Sunday For A Hike Around The Quarry Lake

It has taken 3 or 4 days but we’re starting to feel at home again and getting back to our normal routines.  Paulette will be off to her local Heritage Quilters on Monday morning and I’ll be getting in touch with my Poker and Lunch Groups to setup our next get togethers.  So by the end of April, we should be right back in the swing of things. 

The Quarry Lake at Cobble HillIMG_3905

My next job around here is going to be washing and waxing our 5’er.  It still had some desert dust on it and that combined with some salt spray from the Pacific and the usual dirt and grime from travelling has left it in need of a real good clean-up.  I’ll probably tackle that job early this week.  Other than a clean-up, our new 5’er is in great shape and we completed our 3rd snowbird season with no problems.

There’s a nice trail that winds right around this lakeIMG_3907

Pretty much everything is unloaded from the living area of our 5’er now but I haven’t even touched the basement cargo areas.  I’m going to be taking a real close look at all the stuff we brought with us last year to see if it’s really needed.  I’m sure we had a lot of items that we never even used so they’ll have to come out.

We just have to be careful not to fall in the water – it’s very deepIMG_3908

We had a very quiet Sunday at home for the most part.  In the morning, I spent some time transferring all the photos I had stored on my laptop to my desktop computer.  I was surprised to see I had taken over 3,400 photos.  That’s a lot of pictures.  In fact, if I had been using Kodak Film with 36 exposures per roll it would have worked out to 94 rolls of film.  Sure glad we have digital cameras!

IMG_3910

Not long after lunch yesterday we went for our afternoon hike.  It’s kind of nice right now as we are going to a different place every day just to check up and see what’s changed since last December.  I don’t know how long it will be before we end up cycling through most of our favourite hikes but for right now it’s fun going to a different one each day.  Sunday we visited the Cobble Hill Quarry Lake.

Just trying out the Underwater Scene Setting on my new cameraIMG_3911

While playing around with my new Canon G15 camera while down in Palm Springs I noticed it has a special ‘scene setting’ for taking underwater photos.  I’ve always had a problem trying to get good shots of the salmon run in our local rivers so I thought I’d try this setting while walking around the Quarry lake.

Looking straight down into the lake with the clouds reflectedIMG_3912

I was pleasantly surprised by the clarity of the images looking down into the lake.  The colors turned out really good and the camera seemed to penetrate the water without getting the overexposed glare I used to get.  I guess I’ll have to wait until the big Salmon run this fall before I get a real idea of how good this will turn out to be but for now it’s sure a lot better than the normal settings I’ve used.

IMG_3914

It was a beautiful afternoon for a hike around the lake especially when the sun peeked out from behind a cloud.  All of a sudden, with the sun I felt like taking my light jacket off but as soon as the sun hid behind a cloud I was glad to be wearing it.  I guess I can’t complain though especially when I see the horrible, cold weather the rest of Canada is having to put up with right now.

IMG_3913

We’re looking forward to this weekend already as our daughter Maggie will be coming over from Vancouver to stay for the weekend and return Paulette’s Honda Civic.  Maggie kept it for us in her underground parking while we were gone.  Carrie, who is now into her 7th month of pregnancy, is also coming up to stay with us.  Both Carrie and the ‘baby boy’ are in great health and doing well.

Have a great Monday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment