Saturday 13 April 2013

Google Is Replacing Our Followers Gadget With G+

During a break yesterday morning from the seemingly never ending task of emptying our 5’er, I thought I’d do something a lot more enjoyable – look at a few blog techie issues I’ve been putting off until we got home.  One, in particular, was a strange one.  Have any of you noticed any shaking or wiggling on your Blog’s sidebar lately?

The normal Blogger Follower’s GadgetBlogger Followers

It happened on both Paulette’s and my computer about a month ago while we were in Desert Hot Springs.  It seemed to come and go and since it wasn’t causing any particular problems I just figured I’d leave it until we got home.  Then, a few days ago, I received an email from Rod (Retired Rod) asking “Have you seen the side bar shakes on Google Blogger blogs?”  So, it wasn’t just our connection!

The Google+ Followers GadgetGoogle  Followers

Rod had conducted his own investigation and came up with the cause of the “shakes”.  He found that the “shakes” were caused by the Google Follower’s Gadget because it was only the stuff after the Follower’s Gadget that shook.  He tried moving it around and even deleting it and every time the culprit was the Follower’s Gadget. ‘Shaky’ Rod was way ahead of me on this one.

It was amazing to see how much stuff came out of our 5’erIMG_3869

After doing a bit of research on this yesterday, I confirmed Rod’s findings but no one has found a solution to this issue.  It only seems to effect computers running Google Chrome.  However, what I did find out that is even more interesting is that Google is in the process of sun-setting the current Follower’s Gadget and replacing it with a similar Gadget called Google+ Followers.  (I have both on my sidebar).

Rylie checking out her old haunt – the Mill Bay Nature ParkIMG_3872

Google, of course, has given no timetable for this changeover but as we’ve seen with other blog changes it’s not a question of if, only of when.  Also, there will be no automatic conversion of your present Followers to the new Google+ Followers.  If you choose to add the Google+ Followers gadget it will simply show the folks who have you in their Google Circles.  If you look at my sidebar you will see this in practice as I have both Gadgets with different numbers for each.

Molly and Rylie getting re-acquainted with green grass and mossIMG_3874

This really isn’t a big issue for me as I haven’t been real concerned with the Follower’s Gadget for a long time anyway.  What I do find interesting about all of this is how determined Google is to promote and make sure that Google+ is the centerpiece of their entire web social presence.  It seems to be working for them too as Google+ has taken a real foothold on the web especially in business.

The tide was way out at Mill Bay yesterday afternoonIMG_3875

Other than fooling around with computer stuff, I did manage to accomplish one major task yesterday and that was to arrange to get my truck into a collision repair shop on April 24th to have that nasty ding taken out of the box side panel.  All it took was a 10 minute phone call to our government run auto insurance company ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC) and I had a Claim Number to take it to any Auto Collision Repair Shop I wished to have it fixed.

With the right boots, we could have walked right across Mill BayIMG_3876

Late in the morning I drove into GTCollsion to let them have a look at my truck and set a time for the repair.  I used this outfit a few years back to repair a similar ding on the side panel of our Honda Odyssey and they did a terrific job.  I thought matching the dark red of our Odyssey would be difficult but it turned out perfect and I couldn’t even tell.  The GTCollision guy said my truck would be an easy repair and guaranteed it would look just as good as new!

IMG_3878

We are very quickly falling into our old routines around home.  Molly and Rylie were at my computer desk at 8am reminding me it was time for their morning walk.  I had breakfast afterwards and then Paulette and I both drifted off into our own little worlds for the rest of the morning.  Later in the afternoon, we took Molly and Rylie to an old standby for their afternoon hike – the Mill Bay Nature Park.

Paulette’s little garage sale lamp has found a new temporary homeIMG_3882

The rest of the day was pretty quiet as I kept busy hooking up various computer components and reinstalling our HD TV receivers that we used in the 5’er.  There was the usual confusion about missing cables, receivers and remotes but we eventually got it all solved and everything seems to be working just fine.  It was a nice, quiet first day back at home.

Have a great Saturday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment