Friday 26 April 2013

Grooming Day, Work And Hanging Out With Google

Thursday was the much dreaded Grooming Day for the muttzo’s.  I’m sure if they knew the night before what was in store for them the next day, they wouldn’t sleep a wink – nor would we I guess.  Molly and Rylie have it pretty lucky though as Paulette’s niece, Heather, is a groomer who runs her business right out of her home about 40 minutes north of us near Nanaimo.

IMG_4163

Paulette took Molly and Rylie up to Heather’s and then after a quick visit headed off to Nanaimo for a bit of thrifty shopping.  On her way back she stopped off to see her older brother, Glen, who lives in an assisted care facility in Nanaimo.  He’s doing well and Paulette said he was happy to see her.  Then it was back to Heather’s to pick up Molly and Rylie and drive back home.

IMG_4165

While Paulette was taking care of the muttzo’s, I was home working on our 5’er.  I decided to go ahead and complete all of the polishing on the entire rig before any more waxing.  I ended up working most of the morning and managed to complete polishing the whole thing!  I used a microfiber cloth to apply the polish and then buffed it off using my 8” Simoniz buffing pad.  Next up is the final waxing job.

Waiting for a special treat for being good pups at the groomersIMG_4160

Yesterday, I took my tan colored, leather, waterproof hiking boots to a shoemaker to see about having new soles put on.  I’ve had these boots for around 10 years and they have quite a few miles on them but the leather uppers are still good and the boots are comfortable.  I was quite confident a shoemaker could easily put new soles on and I’d be good for another 100,000 miles.  Well, the shoemaker said “sure, no problem but it’s going to cost $70”.  Wowza!!

Too bad – my old boots were going to be $70 for new soles!IMG_4161

When I bought these boots I remember paying $99 so I wasn’t thrilled to be having to pay $70 just to have new soles put on them.  I thanked the shoemaker for the estimate and left the shop – with my boots in hand.  It seems like boots, much like lighters, pens, razors and cellphones are now disposable items.  I’ll have to check around at a few stores to see what new boots are going for these days.

IMG_4167

google

A few members of the Google+ Development Team held an open Hangout session recently and I joined in as the topic was the new G+ Comment System.  This is the one that was rolled out last week, integrates with our Blogger platform, and requires anyone who wants to leave a comment to have a G+ ID.  That was a deal-breaker for me.

That requirement was one of the first questions posed to Google and the developers never backtracked, never promised it was going to be changed and simply said “that’s what it is”.  Under further questions the team responded that “the Google+ Comment System is going to have a long future” so I took that to mean Blogger Integration with Google+ is definitely where we are headed.

IMG_4170

As for the requirement to be a member of Google+ in order to comment, I got to thinking a bit.  Isn’t that what Facebook does?  I don’t believe we can comment on a Facebook page without having a Facebook ID.  Google+ is growing and now has 500,000 members.  I’m now pretty convinced that having a G+ ID may be a requirement to use the Blogger Platform sometime in the not too distant future.

IMG_4166

Most of us, but not all, seem to have Gmail accounts and adding a G+ account isn’t really all that different.  Accounts can be set so that you have a minimal amount of interaction with G+ or even none at all.  That’s how I have my Facebook ID setup – nada, nil, nothing but I can still see what’s going on and it allows me access to other sites I may want to visit.  Google+ can be used in the same way.

If anyone who currently has a Gmail address but not a Google+ ID, it might be worth thinking about.  In addition to the free, unlimited photo storage one receives with a G+ ID, having a G+ ID right now might just make the transition to a Blogger platform integrated with Google+ all that much easier to handle when it does happen.  And, no, I do not think WordPress is the answer either!

Have a great Friday and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment