Thursday 18 April 2013

Still Trying To Get Going On A Few Tasks Here

Thanks to everyone who commented on my blog post yesterday about Snowbirders Travel Choices.  In my almost 4 years of daily blogging, I think yesterday’s comments were, on average, the wordiest(?) I’ve ever had.  Heck, some of them could have been blogs in their own right.  It was great fun reading all of the comments and it looks like a lot of readers enjoyed it too.

Here’s just one of the comments I really enjoyed:

Yellams: Roaming Gnomes

Wow... loved reading the comments almost as much as reading the post.. Too bad the comments don't have pictures.

I was happy to see the positive attitude shown by everyone especially those who didn’t necessarily agree with my opinion.  So, thanks to all for a very lively and interesting discussion.

Our lawn may look o.k. but, trust me, it’s deceptively longIMG_3949

My day yesterday was broken up by an 11am appointment at the local GM dealership to get our truck serviced.  It was just a regular oil and filter change but by the time they finished up washing the truck and everything it amounts to about 90 minutes.  It was just enough to stop me from doing any of the bigger jobs I was going to tackle like washing the 5’er or, ugh, cutting the lawns.

cradelepoint-ctr350

While my truck was being serviced yesterday, I walked across the street to have a look around Canadian Tire.  They always have interesting gizmos and their sale prices are great.

Somewhere between Palm Springs and home I managed to lose the cigarette lighter power cord that powered my Cradlepoint CTR 350 travel router.  By plugging our Verizon USB card into the CTR 350 we have our own WiFi system while travelling.  I looked and looked but couldn’t find the cord anywhere – it’s gone, gone, gone!

inverter

For the rest of our trip home, I used a rather large, clunky 300W inverter but I really wanted either a new cigarette lighter power cord for the router or a much smaller inverter.

I was in luck as Canadian Tire had exactly what I wanted.  It’s a pocket sized 100W inverter that was on sale for 50% off, so it only cost $18 which is less than the cigarette lighter power cord.  Also, this little gizmo has a USB plug for charging phones and iPads etc.  It’s more than enough to power our little Cradlepoint Router too.

Looking at Salt Spring Island from beach at Cowichan BayIMG_3933

Not long after I got home from the GM dealership and had a bite to eat, it was time to take the muttzo’s for their afternoon walk.  It was a nice day so we decided to go to Manley Creek Park on Cowichan Bay and walk down to the beach as the tides have been extremely low this week.  I suppose there’s a reason why the tides are so low right now but it’s something I don’t really need to know.

A large variety of shells and sea life in the tidal poolsIMG_3941

Unlike many of the beaches here on Vancouver Island, Cowichan Bay is not one of the sandy ones.  Instead it’s rocky and scattered with clam and other kinds of sea shells that would cause nasty cuts if you tried walking along the beach without good shoes on.

IMG_3943

This type of beach does have its own advantages though as there are lots of tidal pools to look at.  There is always an abundance of sea life in these pools and Paulette is always pointing to something or other and telling me what it is.  Beyond the Clam shells, I’m pretty much lost but I do enjoy looking at all the different colors.

There always seems to be a few freighters anchored in the BayIMG_3938

Hopefully, Thursday will be a more productive day and I’ll be able to knock a couple of jobs off of my ‘to-do’ list before it becomes unmanageable.  Of course, I could always just delete the list from my computer’s hard drive instead!

Have a great Thursday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment