Monday 29 April 2013

Yard Work & How I Got Sidetracked To A Salt Mine

Unlike Saturday morning, yesterday when I first looked outside all I could see was sunshine and bright blue skies.  That only meant one thing to me at the time – work!  I knew that after most of 2 days off it was going to be back to the salt mines so to speak – i.e. waxing the 5’er and cutting the front lawn. 

All of this just to put some salt in shakers!2005-07-07_010_Wieliczka,_Poland_-_map_of_the_underground_salt_mine

A strange thing happened Sunday after dinner when I sat down at my computer to write about our exciting day of weeding, cutting the lawn and waxing the 5’er.  In my first paragraph of this blog I wrote it was going to be “back to the salt mines” referring to the work we had to do.  It suddenly occurred to me that I didn’t know a thing about salt mines even though I’ve used that term my whole life!

Da Vinci’s ‘The Last Supper’ carved in the salt mine wallsWieliczka-daVinci

So, off I went to Maharishi Google to find out more about salt mines and the first thing that popped up was pretty incredible.  It was the Wieliczka Salt Mine located in the town of Wieliczka, Poland.  The mine, built in the 13th century, produced table salt continuously until 2007, as one of the world's oldest salt mines still in operation.  It’s now a museum and has regular tours.

Incredible statues carved out of salt – did anybody work here??Wieliczka-color

The mine's attractions include dozens of statues, three chapels and an entire cathedral that has been carved out of the rock salt by the miners.  The Wieliczka salt mine reaches a depth of 1,073 ft and is over 178 miles long – that’s a long way to “pass the salt”!!  It didn’t take me long to find out all I really wanted to know about salt mines.  Maybe next time I get sidetracked it’ll be to a Pepper Mine!

Paulette hard at work in the middle of our front yard shrubberyIMG_4181

I’m back from Poland’s Salt Mine and ready to carry on with my regular blog about our exciting day.  Paulette wanted to do some weeding in the front yard flower gardens and shrubs while I was anxious to get more work done on the final waxing process for our fifth-wheel.  We were outside just after 9am and worked pretty steadily until almost 1pm. 

Lookin’ pretty good now!IMG_4209

Paulette did a fantastic job on the island of shrubs, flowers, plants and trees in the front yard.  She clipped enough cuttings, pulled enough weeds and trimmed enough shrubs to completely fill our utility trailer.  I managed to get our 5’er about 75% complete before needing to give my arms and shoulders a rest.

Our Dogwood TreeIMG_4207

After a quick break, I got our lawnmower out of the shed and cut the front lawn while Paulette was finishing up her weeding job.  While we were working something happened to our nice, sunny day.  Clouds started to move in and although it never did rain, it cooled down quite a bit.  By that time, we’d both had enough anyway and went inside to have lunch.

Cowichan River EstuaryIMG_4187

Later in the afternoon, we took Molly and Rylie for a walk in the Cowichan River Estuary.  Neither Paulette nor I felt much like hiking up any mountains after working all morning.  One nice thing about the Estuary is it’s a nice, flat 2 mile hike.  It was still cool down by the water but we both wore jackets so we were nice and warm.

IMG_4191

Karen (RV Travels With Karen and Al) had a rather shocking thing happen yesterday with her blog – it was gone!!  Google just left her a message saying it had been “removed for suspicious activity”.  I could understand if it was Paul Dahl’s blog, but Karen??  Anyway, while Karen was panicking because she didn’t have her blog backed up, she was able to ‘verify’ her identity with Google and everything was restored back to normal. 

Click anywhere on the image below for instructions on Backupstips

In reading comments on Karen’s blog, I noted a few bloggers still didn’t know how to back up their blogs.  So, I’ve added a new item to my sidebar called  Blogger Tips and Techniques and have added a Blogger Page with instructions showing how to do a backup.  I’ll add more pages if, and when, required. 

Have a great Monday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment