Thursday 25 April 2013

Polishing, Waxing And Down To The River Again

Wednesday morning, I was just about set to head out the door and take my truck to have the dent in the side repaired when the phone rang.  It was the guy from GT Collision asking if I could reschedule for Monday morning.  Apparently, they were pretty jammed up and needed a few more days to clear out a few vehicles.  No problem, I just poured another coffee and headed back to my computer room.

The Simoniz 8” Random Orbit Polisher made this job a breeze!IMG_4122

After delaying the inevitable for as long as possible, I went out around 10am to begin work on our 5’er.  I mentioned in yesterday’s post that I was going to first apply a ‘Polish’ to our entire rig and then repeat the process using a ‘Wax’.  I was asked in an email what the difference was between a ‘Polish’ and a ‘Wax’.  I didn’t know for sure but here’s what’s on the back of the Meguiar’s RV Polish:

A polish can be best described as conditioner that restores valuable oils to feed and nourish the fiberglass or painted surface which creates a brilliant high gloss.  Waxing protects the high-gloss finish from the elements.

I decided to start with the back of the 5’er and get it out of the way as it looked to be the most awkward what with a huge window and the big attached roof ladder not to mention all the lights and stuff.  The little Simoniz 8” Random Orbit Polisher was a real time-saver and it worked even better than I expected.  In no time, I was able to apply a good coat of polish and then buff it out to a brilliant shine.

This stuff really does work wellDesktop12

After I had finished polishing the back of the 5’er, I changed my plan to continue on with polishing the rest of the rig before applying the Pure Wax.  I wanted to see what the actual finished product would look like.  It didn’t take long to apply a coat of wax, let it dry to a haze and then buff it out again using the Simoniz Polisher.  It looked fantastic and felt as smooth as glass – in fact, just like new again.

The high-gloss and reflections show what a shine I was able to getIMG_4137

Moving around to the shady side of our rig, I carried on with the exact same process to polish and wax about 3/4’ers of the side without the door.  By this time, my arms were beginning to get a bit sore so I decided to pack it in for the day.  I think now that I’ve got a handle on this process, I’ll probably just polish the rest of the 5’er and then go back and apply the Meguiar’s Pure Wax otherwise I know I’m going to get mixed up and forget where I’m at.

An afternoon hike took us down to the Cowichan RiverIMG_4109

One thing’s for sure, this job isn’t going to take me all summer.  Heck, I might even be finished by the end of the week.  Using the little 8” Polisher sure makes for fast work.  One thing I’m really glad about is that I opted for the 8” Simoniz Polisher over the 10” one that had 2 handles.  I lifted it in the store and found it to be quite a bit heavier – I think it would have been a killer up on a ladder!

IMG_4117

Of all the great parks we have nearby to go for hikes, I think my favourites are still the 4 or 5 parks alongside the Cowichan River.  There’s something about this clear, hard-charging river that makes me want to watch it forever.  It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon with the temperature reaching 70F when we headed off for our afternoon hike to the Glenora section of the Cowichan River Park.

IMG_4115

After climbing up and down a ladder for a few hours in the morning, I was just glad to be back on solid ground and walking forward rather than climbing up.  The trail from the parking lot to the river is a moderate downward grade until the river is reached.  From there, there are sets of very well constructed stairs down to the river itself.

IMG_4112

On the way down the stairs, there are 3 viewing platforms that provide great views out over the river both upstream and down.  It’s really out in the middle of nowhere so this is a great spot to get away from it all.  The only thing we hear is the birds chirping.  I suppose there may be bears in the woods and perhaps a cougar but in all the years we’ve been coming here, we’ve never seen either.

IMG_4116

Paulette was off to a dinner with her Sorority friends last night.  I was simply glad to stay home, put my feet up and watch a bit of a few hockey and basketball games on TV.  I know the grass was still growing as I was polishing the 5’er so it’s going to be quite a while before I begin to catch up on my jobs around here.  Plus, we have another fairly major home remodel job on the horizon.  Stay tuned.

Have a great Thursday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment