Monday 24 December 2012

Getting A Few Basic Chores Done Before Christmas

Our 2 garbage bins were about full so it was time for a run to the dump to unload them prior to their being filled to the max in the aftermath of Christmas.  This job is one that Molly and Rylie always look forward to and as soon as I ask “who wants to go to the dump” they start running around, yapping and wagging tails.  Go figure!!

This crawl space is about 3’ high – not the easiest to get toIMG_6862

Our forced air electric furnace is located in a 3’ high crawl space under our living room/dining/kitchen floors.  One of my last to-do tasks before heading south each year is to change the filter in the furnace.  Luckily, the crawlspace has a cement floor, is dry, and is quite warm.  Unluckily, I have to crawl on my hands and knees for about 50’ to get to the furnace.

A new filter and we’re good to go for another yearIMG_6864

For over 25 years now I’ve been threatening to put a light switch at the entrance to the crawlspace so I can see clearly.  But, once again I ended up flashlight in one hand and filter in the other trying to make my way to the furnace without banging my head on the floor joists.  And, once again, I told myself “I’ve got to put a light down here” – maybe next year will be the year – somehow, I doubt it.

This Canada Goose lives year round at the Cobble Hill Quarry LakeIMG_0280

Looking at the weather forecast for the coming week here in Cowichan Bay, the temperatures didn't seem to be in danger of getting anywhere near the freezing level so I thought I’d flush out the pink antifreeze in our 5’er.  I had by-passed the hot water tank when I put the pink stuff in so it was completely empty and I always like to have the water system all set-up and ready to go if possible.

Lot’s of low clouds and mist hanging over the waterIMG_0293

With the handy by-pass valves on our 5’er, the job of changing over and filling up the hot water tank is quite simple.  The biggest job is hauling the garden hose over to the 5’er and connecting it to the intake.  Once that was done, I went inside, turned on the faucets and let them run until they were clear of pink stuff.  Next, I just opened the valve to the hot water heater and let it fill-up.  Done!

As you can tell from the drops in the water, it was raining a bitIMG_0295

Another reason I wanted to make the water system operational is because we’ll be putting the “5’er Bed and Breakfast Motel” into operation over Christmas.  Some of the kids will be sleeping over Christmas night and there’s always a big fight to see who get’s the deluxe sleeping accommodations the 5’er has to offer.  

There was still a bit of snow here as it’s a bit higher upIMG_0274

With my jobs done, I was able to sit down in our family room, put on the fireplace and TV, then watch an NFL game I’d recorded earlier in the day.  Before I got too comfortable though and settled in to watch another game it was time to take Molly and Rylie for an afternoon walk.  We decided to go for a hike around the Cobble Hill Quarry. 

seahawks

How ‘bout them Seahawks?  The Seattle Seahawks routed the San Francisco 49’ers 42-13 in Seattle last night and clinched a spot in the NFL playoffs.

For most Canadian fans of the NFL who live in B.C. the Seahawks are pretty much the home team.  I watched last night’s game on TV as Paulette was busy with another Christmas movie.  It wasn’t much of a game unless you were a Seahawk’s fan as it was 21-0 it seemed before the game was barely out of the 1st quarter.  Good stuff!

Have a great Christmas Eve, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment