Thursday 6 December 2012

The Best Digital Camera Review Site On The Web

If you ever find yourself in the market for a new digital camera and are completely bewildered by the number of manufacturers, models, styles and features, you might want to consider visiting a website called DP Review(Digital Photography Review).   DP Review is the world's most popular digital photography site with 7 million visitors or more per month.  It’s a terrific place to get info on any camera.

DP Review – the best digital camera information site on the webFullscreen capture 1252012 74446 PM

One of the most valuable sections of DP Review is, of course, their detailed review, analysis, scoring and recommendations on almost every digital camera that hits the market – and they do it pretty Fullscreen capture 1252012 72346 PMquick too.  For instance, as I’ve mentioned just a few times lately, I’m very interested in Canon’s new G15 Powershot Camera.  But, before I penned my letter to Santa, I was hoping DP Review would publish their thoughts and recommendations on the G15 just to make sure.

Patiently, ever day for a while now, I’ve been visiting DP Review hoping to find their analysis of the G15. Sure, there are other sites on the Internet but I have a lot of respect for these guys because they pull no punches and are very strict in their analysis and testing. If a new camera just doesn’t measure up, they’ll say so, tell you why and suggest better, less costly alternatives.

A few days ago, when I visited DP Review I finally saw it.  They had published their review of the Canon G15 and awarded it their highest rating – the Gold Award.  In looking at their percentages, I think the only device that would ever get a 90% rating is the human eye!

The Canon G15 is right up there with the ‘Big Boys’ – the DSLR’sScreen Captures

Some not so good reviews from the guys at DP ReviewNot So Gold Awards

To be fair here, even cameras that are rated Silver, or lower, are still probably very good cameras but they just don’t measure up to the competition when put through a battery of tests in the photo lab.  They can be very critical of every camera manufacturer when it’s called for. 

Another part of DP Reviews analysis of cameras are there “Pros and Cons”.  As an example, here are the pros and cons for the G15 along with my thoughts on each one as to its importance to me:

Conclusion - Pros

Good low-ISO image detail and reliable metering Important to me
Versatile, sharp and fast 28-140mm F1.8-2.8 lens Important to me
Good balance between noise reduction and detail retention at higher ISOs Important to me
Fast and responsive operation Important to me
Fast and reliable AF system Important to me
Very effective Image Stabilization system Important to me
Excellent 920k dot screen Important to me
Optical viewfinder useful in very bright light Not so much
Lots of external controls I like these
Customizable control dials and Shortcut-button These are handy
Excellent build quality and body materials Important to me
Decent battery life Important to me

Conclusion – Cons

Exposure compensation dial does not work in video mode Not important to me at all
No swivel screen (vs predecessor and some competitors) I don’t want a swivel screen
No automated panorama mode (only stitch-assist) Would be ‘nice to have’
HDR mode only works well with the camera on a tripod I don’t use tripods
Matt surface a little prone to scratches Aren’t they all

As far as the Cons go, the ones for the Canon G15 are relatively minor and picky for me.  None of them have anything to do with image quality which is my main concern. 

The Con comments can get pretty hostile though as shown below for another Canon camera I won’t mention released just this year.

  • Noisy and soft photos have noticeable detail loss, even at base ISO of 125
  • Strong highlight clipping at times
  • No manual controls, save for white balance
  • Low light focusing not great
  • Below average battery life
  • Flash is slow to recharge
  • Not great for night shots, due to 1 sec shutter speed limit and lack of manual controls
  • Photos taken in portrait orientation are not rotated automatically
  • Flimsy door over battery/memory card compartment
  • Internal battery charging is slow, won't let you charge a spare

After reading the Cons for the above camera, would you still consider buying it?  I know I wouldn’t.

So, I was quit happy to read the great review of the Canon G15 and was especially so to read their final summary recommendation:

The camera is clearly a well-refined product and a joy to use. It is very quick and responsive in operation, built like a tank and offers the most external controls in its class. Combine that with the fast 28-140mm F1.8-2.8 lens and you've got yourself an ultra-versatile pocketable tool that can be operated almost like a DSLR and earns itself our highest award.

santa_sign

So Santa, as you can see, I’ve done my research to make sure you don’t waste your time or money on bringing me a real lemon on Christmas morning.  That would be very disappointing for both me and you.

I trust you will file this information immediately and make sure you are able to obtain one of these cameras for moi before they are all taken.  See ya Christmas Morning – free cookies and milk!!  How about Napoleon Slice and a special Latte??

Have a great Thursday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment