Monday 10 December 2012

It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

It’s way too early for me to say I’m in the Christmas Spirit, but we took a step closer Sunday by putting up our Christmas Tree.  We had a bunch of boxes of lights, ornaments and the artificial tree stored in a closet in the garage so first thing this morning we hauled about 5 big boxes into the house.

IMG_0080

We’ve had the same artificial tree now for about 20 years and it’s still in great condition.  It has a stand and 2 sections that fit together and then all the branches are made of a very sturdy wire that folds down and out and can be adjusted.  It looks a lot better than most of the real trees I used to buy.

IMG_0076

My job was to help Paulette put up the strings of lights on the tree.  That went well except I had to take a run over to the hardware store to buy 3 extra power bars.  How come every Christmas I seem to buy a bunch of power bars and then they disappear during the year?  How can one household use so many power bars and where do they go to?  It’s a total mystery to me.

IMG_6826

After the lights were all strung on the tree and working, I snuck off to the family room to watch a bit of football on TV.  That left Paulette to do the rest of the tree decorating.  I’m not big on putting all the ornamental stuff on Christmas Trees so my out is to say “it looks just fine to me with just the lights”!!

IMG_0065

As usual, Paulette did a terrific job of decorating not only the tree but the rest of the Christmas stuff in the living room, dining room and the outside foyer.  I did take pictures though!

IMG_0066

Before we started heading south right after Christmas, we used to do a lot of outside decorating.  I’d put outside lights along the entire front length of the house at roof level and we’d string lights on outside bushes, trees and shrubs.  We quit that though as leaving on Dec. 29th made it too much of a rush to get everything down and put away in time to leave.

IMG_6822

It was actually a pretty good day to be inside as it was cold and damp outside.  We never did see the sun yesterday as the skies were overcast for the entire day and rain drizzled off and on for most of the time.  We still managed to get our afternoon hike in with Molly and Rylie to Mill Bay Nature Park.

IMG_0063

Thanks to Judy (Travels With Emma) for coming to my rescue yesterday day identifying the birds in the trees that I thought were Hawks but were really young Bald Eagles.  I thought the big birds without the distinctive white plumage looked a little big to be Hawks but what do I know?  As it turned out – not much when it comes to birds.  The ‘Bird Lady of Blogland’ said that it takes about 5 years before Bald Eagles get their adult plumage.

IMG_6812

The week ahead is going to be a busy social one for me which is always kind of unusual.  Wednesday is our Poker Night in Victoria at Phil’s house.  By the time I get home it will be after midnight and after a few hours sleep I’ll be returning to Victoria for lunch with a few of my retired friends.  Then, on Friday, I have another luncheon in Victoria with 3 of my former staff who are still plugging along and doing well in my old Information Technology department.

IMG_0055

Have a great Monday, and thanks again for visiting!                

No comments:

Post a Comment