Sunday 9 December 2012

The Slides Are Out And We’re Starting To Pack

Even though we still have 3 weeks to go before leaving on our trek south for the winter, we began our preliminary checking and even some packing yesterday.  The first thing we did was extend the 3 slides.  No matter how many times I extend or retract the slides on our rig, I’m always thankful when everything slides into place and locks just as it should – it’s a nice feeling.

Very important buckets full of cables, connectors and batteriesIMG_0004

Paulette started hauling a bunch of clothes out to the rig and putting them away in drawers and hanging them in closets.  That’s the last thing I’ll do.  Instead, I checked on more important things like my plastic tub full of cables, connectors, chargers, diagnostic tools as well as a smaller container full of all the various size batteries we’ll need for all the gizmo’s and gadgets. 

Note:  The ‘Bird Lady of Blogland’, aka Judy (Travels With Emma) has advised me that what I thought to be ‘Hawks’ are most likely just young Bald Eagles.  Judy says it takes about 5 years before Bald Eagles get their adult plumage.  On all things ‘birds’, I bow to Judy’s knowledge and wisdom.  So, I’ve taken out “Hawks”!

In the estuary, we saw a tree with 10 Bald Eagles IMG_6794

Paulette was off to Duncan Saturday morning to do some shopping and browsing while I stayed home and took it easy.  After seeing what a zoo Costco was on Friday I have no real ambition to head out into that mob again.  Besides, my Christmas shopping is all done so all I could do now is spend more money on more useless stuff.

The Bald Eagles didn’t seem to mind each otherIMG_6795-001

Shortly after Paulette returned home we packed up Molly and Rylie to go for our afternoon hike while the sun was still shining.  Cobble Hill Mountain was out as we’d be in the shade of the tall fir trees and we wanted to stay in the sun.  Instead, we just drove down to Cowichan Bay and the Estuary trail.  Not far down the trail we came to two trees just full of Bald Eagles and some kind of Hawks.

One Bald Eagle and one young eagleIMG_6798

There were a dozen in one tree and about ten in the tree next to it.   They didn’t seem to mind each other at all – they just sat side by side on the tree limbs staring down into the river and estuary looking for whatever birds of prey look for.

IMG_6803

We enjoyed another brisk 2 mile walk along the estuary trails and then returned home.  I spent some time trying to see if there was any way to get Live Writer to work with Blogger’s Light Box Photo Display.  Right now they are incompatible.  If I were to use Blogger to post, with photos, then when anyone clicked on a photo in my blog it would be displayed in the black Light Box format.  There is no plugin available for Live Writer so I’ll just stick with the same for now.

Down by the river, it’s starting to look more like winter than fallIMG_6804

With nothing much to watch on TV last night, I upgraded Paulette’s laptop to Windows 8.  She’d been having some issues with it lately and rather than give it a tune-up, I figured it would be easier, faster and probably better just to upgrade to the new OS.  The upgrade went smooth as silk so now all I have to do is give Paulette a quick tutorial and she should be all set to go for another few years!

Have a great Sunday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment