Friday 14 December 2012

Nothing Really – That’s What I Usually Blog About!

Fresh off my late night from poker, I was off to Victoria by 10:30am Thursday morning to meet up with some former co-workers for a Christmas lunch.  Three of the four (Liz, Doug and Kevin) are all computer programmers I hired, during the previous century, when I was an I.T. Manager.  We still get together for lunch at Christmas and try for one other date during the year as well.

Romeo’s – the best pizza in Victoria since 1974Romeos-pizzas

Yesterday we met at Romeo’s, one of Victoria’s oldest Italian Restaurants, and one which annually seems to win the award for “Victoria’s Best Pizza”.  It was a fun lunch but distressing to hear that the pace of dreaded meetings, to discuss and debate everything rather than actually working, continues to pick up pace.  I swear its useless meetings that drove me to an early retirement at age 55.

End of the world Mayan prophesies?  Naw – just local Inukshuks2012-11-27

None of the friends I had lunch with were aware I was a blogger.  I’m not sure I should have let that information slip out either.  They asked what I blogged about each day and when I replied “just what I do and where I go” the follow up question was a natural “what do you do all day to write about?”  My answer “nothing, really” kind of struck me as both odd yet a perfect description of daily blogging.

IMG_6760

After my night at poker Wednesday with us old guys who ranged in age from 59 to 82 (in the interests of full disclosure, I’m 68), it was kind of jarring to be having lunch with young folks only in their 40’s.  They all seem to have so many things going on at one time – I guess we all did at that age.  Anyway, I’ve always liked the saying “you’re only as old as you feel” and I’m not feeling old at all.  I’m looking forward to my 70’s because I’ve never been there!  It’s exciting!

IMG_6767

When I got back home from Victoria all I wanted to do was either sit down in the family room with the fireplace on or maybe browse on my computer for a while.  But, it was 2:30pm by then and both Molly and Rylie were staring at me expectantly knowing it was time for their afternoon hike – so was Paulette.  As luck would have it a slight drizzle began to fall.  So, no rest for the wicked as they say, we soon were in the car and headed off for the Mill Bay Nature Park.

IMG_0123

An hour later we were finally back home and I was able to sneak upstairs with my eReader and settle down in Paulette’s nice, comfy recliner for a short siesta before dinner.  Before I knew it, both Molly and Rylie had found me and hopped up on top of me so I didn’t need a blanket that’s for sure.  Soon, all of us were dozing with the only noise Paulette’s sewing machine whirring away in the next room.

IMG_0083

Friday, I’m off to Victoria for another lunch with my old retired friends – what a social week I’ve had.  I’m beating Paulette and that’s a first for me.  This will be the end of socializing for me though until Christmas.  It’s back to being a Grinch – a nice, relaxed, slow-moving Grinch!

Have a great Friday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment