Tuesday 11 December 2012

Gutter Cleaning And Roof De-Mossing Day

There’s an old saying that goes something like “….things come in threes”.  I figured since I’ve had 2 slips ‘n falls hiking recently that it wouldn’t be a great idea for me to climb up on our roof to clean out the gutters or apply a de-mossing treatment.  In some places, I’d be a good 20’ above a concrete sidewalk and/or driveway.

IMG_0084

Instead, a week ago I called Gutter Gator, a local firm, to come over and do the job for me while I just watched.  I’m not so sure about the ‘Gator’ in their name as these guys moved around the roof like ‘monkeys in a tree’.  Not one of the 2 guys even came close to slipping let alone falling.  But, I guess the name Gutter Gator does have a better ring to it than Gutter Monkeys.

IMG_6850

The first step was simply using a blower to get rid of any loose debris from the roof.  Next they cleaned out the gutters and downspouts.  The final job was carefully spreading a solution of zinc sulphate at the peak points of the roof and at parallel intervals down towards the gutters.  The next time it rains, the solution will wash the entire roof and kill the moss.  I’ve seen this procedure work on some of our neighbor's homes and it does a good job.

I used to clean the gutters myself but now I’ll leave it to the prosP1020720

Whatever happened to plain old regular white toothpaste?  I ran out of toothpaste yesterday so I made a quick run down to the local drugstore to pick up some Crest Regular Toothpaste.  No luck at all as they had about 30 different varieties of green, yellow, orange, whitening, mint, scope and other types of toothpaste but not one tube of plain, regular white!

Whatever happened to plain old white, regular toothpaste?IMG_6805

Since I didn’t feel like driving to another store I just grabbed 2 tubes of what looked to be harmless stuff.  I didn’t even realize until I got home that the ones I picked were Citrus Splash mixed with Scope  and came out of the tube an awful looking orange color.  I wasn’t all that impressed but I do have to say it did taste pretty good!

Paulette brought some bread to feed the Canadian Geese2012-12-10

Whenever we go for a walk around the Cobble Hill Quarry Lake we see 2 Canadian Geese who reside there year round.  Other hikers have told us these particular geese have injured wings and can’t fly south for the winter.  They seem to do quite well at the Quarry and get lots to eat from all the folks who visit the Quarry year round.

High above the lake, the clouds are a reflection in the still waterIMG_6846

Normally, when we go for a hike around the Cobble Hill Quarry Lake we take the trail that follows the shoreline at lake level.  We found a new path yesterday that leads up to a higher level and it gave us a very different perspective of everything.  The photo directly below shows the trail at lake level and also the one high above.  We just had to watch our step and not get too close to the cliffs.

IMG_6847

costco turkey[4]A week ago I wrote that this coming Wednesday is my Poker Night out with friends and that for 43 consecutive years not one single host has ever honoured our tradition of providing a Turkey Dinner at our December game night.  I suggested to Phil, our host, that he might want to consider the $79 Costco Complete Turkey Dinner.  He was in Saskatchewan (really??) last week on business but emailed our group his reply just yesterday:

I want to thank Rick for his extremely generous suggestion regarding the Costco Complete Turkey Dinner.

However, you are in for an even better treat on Wednesday!  As I was driving on the frozen, bald prairie in Saskatchewan last Thursday night (-23C), I happened to come across a decent sized road kill on the highway between Saskatoon and Regina.

Of all the luck!  Got out, flipped it into the trunk and carried on. Upon closer inspection, if you don't look too close,  it could be a turkey - and frozen to boot!  So, it will be a real Christmas treat on Wednesday…….Phil

Obviously our friend Phil is not filled with the Christmas Sprit!!

Have a great Tuesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment