Tuesday 22 January 2013

A Tip For Blocking Anonymous Spammer Comments

A solution for stopping Anonymous Spam Comments from appearing on your blog could be as simple as clearing out your Comment Spam Folder.  If you didn’t know you have a Comment Spam Folder then you should probably keep reading this especially if you have this problem.  This solution worked perfectly on Paulette’s blog.

Remember when this used to be what ‘Spam’ meant?

spam

It was just this Sunday morning when Paulette asked me “hey, how come I’m getting all of these obnoxious anonymous spam comments on my blog?”  When I asked her how long it had been happening she said “just a couple of days”.  I was surprised to say the least as I almost never get one of these anonymous spam comments on my blog and I know Blogger doesn’t have different Spam Detection Filters – it’s the same for all of us Bloggers.  So, what happened?

blogger_vs_spammer.gif

The first thing I did on Paulette’s blog was to temporarily disable all anonymous comments.  Then, I went to her Dashboard > Settings > Comments > Spam page and was shocked to see over 6,500 spam comments!  Wowza!  When I asked if she’d ever looked at this page Paulette simply said “no, that’s what I have your for”.  Check!!!  I immediately knew that Blogger had some kind of spam count limit.

What the actual folder limit number is, I have no idea.  However, my theory about the Spam Folder being full and therefore the cause of this particular problem was proven true after I deleted all 6,500 plus anonymous comments in Paulette’s spam folder.  I went to Paulette’s blog and enabled Anonymous Comments again and then waited. 

Check out your Spam Folder and get rid of this junkspam1

It didn’t take long for the Anonymous Spammers to again target Paulette’s blog.  Within an hour, over a dozen spam comments poured in but, this time, Blogger’s Spam Detection Filter caught all of them and sent these dastardly comments directly to her Spam folder.  This continued for the rest of the day and evening with Blogger catching each and every Anonymous Spam comment.

The moral of this story?  Blogger Spam Detection works.  But, for it to be 99.9% effective, each blogger must periodically check their Spam folder and clear it out before you reach the magic number whereby the Spam Detection Filter throws its hands in the air and says “heck, if you don’t care about managing this stuff, then neither do I”.  I check mine at least  once every week and delete all spam.

Congrats to all Americans on another great Inauguration eventobama

Paulette and I sat transfixed in front of our television for over 2 hours yesterday morning as we watched the pomp, pageantry and history of the Inauguration of President Barack Obama.  It was great to see a day with no bickering, fighting, name-calling and all the other usual political stuff.  Plus, the Star Spangled Banner sung by Beyoncé was fantastic as was Kelly Clarkson singing My Country ‘Tis of Thee.  Both outstanding!!

obama2

Paulette’s BFF, Claire, arrives here in Palm Springs Tuesday morning and with it my Quilt Shop Chauffeur duties will begin.  I think I might get Tuesday afternoon off but the schedule of events calls for a trip to both Temecula and San Marcos on Wednesday.  It’s going to be a whirlwind busy week.  Welcome to Palm Springs, Claire!!

Have a great Tuesday and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment