Wednesday 30 January 2013

Claire Flies Home And I’m Back On The Golf Course

rick chauffeur2 copyAfter driving Claire to the airport for her noon WestJet flight home to Victoria, Paulette and I returned to the Sands to take care of some chores we’ve been putting off.  But, first, I changed and carefully hung up my chauffeur’s uniform until the next time it is needed.

We were sad to see Claire head towards the airline gate with her bulging suitcase full of quilting fabrics and patterns as it was a lot of fun having her visit with us.  I’m sure all the local quilt shops from Palm Springs to San Diego will be sad as well as Paulette and Claire sure helped their January sales.

Claire heading home with a suitcases full of quilting treasuresIMG_0545

Paulette had about a week’s laundry she wanted to take care of and I needed to empty and treat our holding tanks as well as a few other odd jobs and clean-ups.  I got an email from my friend Mel saying he had a 2:20pm tee time up at our golf course so I jumped at that and that took care of the rest of my afternoon.  I hit some good shots and some bad ones but enough good ones to keep me playing.

Looking at the Sherman’s Desserts trying to decide what to order! IMG_0542

In my last blog, I mentioned we took Claire to Sherman’s Deli for dinner but I couldn’t bring myself to post the photos as I was so full just looking at food pics might have made me ill.  So, if you don’t want to see pics of Sherman’s great dinners and desserts, you better hit page up and exit right now!

Sherman’s Early Bird Special – Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, GravyIMG_0536

We got to Sherman’s a little before 6pm just in time for their Early Bird Specials.  Paulette’s not big on the huge Corned Beef, Pastrami or Salami sandwiches and the Chopped Liver is a definite non-starter so she figured ordering a simple Roast Beef and Mashed Potato with gravy dinner would be a good idea.  Little did she know that they’d bring half a Texas Longhorn on a plate!  Molly and Rylie loved it!!

The Grilled Reuben was so good last time, I ordered it againIMG_0537

Claire was the most sensible ordering the Sesame Chicken Salad but it was huge as well and she couldn’t finish it.  As for me, I’m a bit of a creature of habit and went with the same Grilled Reuben with sauerkraut I ordered last time.  It was every bit as good and is a pretty hard sandwich to beat at Sherman’s – probably their most popular.

This Chocolate Cheesecake was about double normal sizeIMG_0543

Ordering dessert after dinner at Sherman’s is almost automatic for us as once you see the choices in the display case when you walk in the deli it’s almost impossible to resist.  And, they give you cartons to take home what you can’t finish – good thing too!  For the first time ever, I opted not to order Sherman’s famous Carrot Cake as it was just too big and I was already full from dinner.  I figured I’d just go with a modest little piece of Chocolate Cheese Cake.

Deep Dish Apple Strudel and Ice CreamIMG_0544

There was nothing modest or little about this Chocolate Cheesecake as it was twice the size of any Cheesecake I’ve ever had in any other restaurant.  I ended up taking half of it home.  Paulette went with an Apple Strudel with Ice Cream and Claire ordered a piece of Chocolate Dome cake that looked awesome.  It was a great dinner and now Claire knows why we are so fond of Sherman’s.

We had a spectacular sunset here at the Sands a few nights agoIMG_0535

After a week of dinners out with too many decadent desserts, we’ll be eating much more lightly for the next few weeks.  Chef Joe is probably angry we’ve been ignoring him but not to worry as some of his lighter meals are well in order for the next little while.

Have a great Wednesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment