Monday 25 February 2013

Biscuits Are Just Fine, But Hold The Sausage Gravy

One thing I like about reading a lot of blogs first thing in the morning is that it often leads to good ideas for my own daily blog.  That’s what happened again Sunday while reading RV Days with Jessica and Harry when Jessica wrote “This morning we started out with breakfast at a local place. Sausage gravy and biscuits – yum.”

Why would anyone spoil fresh biscuits with white sausage gravy?gravy

At the risk of offending all y’all southern folks (and you too, Jessica), instead of using the 3 letter word ‘yum’ I would have chosen the 3 letter word ‘yuk’ to describe that white, gooey, disgusting looking and worse tasting sausage gravy.  The only thing worse is that wallpaper paste y’all call ‘Grits’.  Biscuits and Gravy with a side of Grits – yee-haw!

Grits – or something akin to wallpaper pastegrits

I’ve heard several different explanations of what Grits are so I decided to Google it and see what they said:

Grits is a food of Native American origin, common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast. Modern grits is commonly made of alkali-treated corn known as hominy.

Maybe it’s the alkali that gives Grits that wallpaper paste quality.  Whatever, it’s sure not something I’d want to risk first thing in the morning.  This goes in the ‘white sausage gravy’ trash bin for me.

This is my all-star #1 favourite breakfast anywhere, anytime!brekkie-640x360

I’ll take a good ole “2 eggs with hash browns, bacon and toast – a perfect way to start the day.  Unfortunately, that’s my dream breakfast while my usual one is simply cereal – Raisin Bran.

Homemade Biscuits with Blackberry or Raspberry Jam are #2biscuits

Now, we’re talking!Desktop1

Now, if you don’t happen to like eggs, bacon, sausage gravy, grits or hashbrowns then how about just biscuits with homemade blackberry or raspberry jam and freshly brewed coffee?   Sausage gravy is a terrible way to spoil a really good oven baked biscuit. 

Pancakes are a great breakfast too – with sausages/eggs, no gravypancakes

Another of my favourite breakfasts are pancakes with eggs, bacon or sausages.  I love sausages but the white gravy makes me gag!  So, how about you?  What’s your favourite breakfast? 

argo

Argo won the Oscar for Best Picture of the Year last night.  Since it was the only one of the 9 films nominated that I’d actually seen, I was happy to see it win the award.  Paulette and I had given it a 9 out of 10 in our estimation.

As for the Academy Awards show itself it was probably one of the most boring we’ve watched in years.  it dragged terribly with lame productions that went on forever and left only a few minutes to cram all the major awards into at the end of the show.

Also, one of the worst supposed jokes I’ve heard in a long time was when the host Seth MacFarland (who is he anyway?) thought it was funny to make a joke about President Lincoln’s assassination.  It was unbelievably bad.  Doesn’t he know that jokes about killing a President are sick and never funny no matter how long ago they occurred?  What an idiot!

Have a great Monday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment