Wednesday 6 February 2013

When Paul Dahl Speaks – I Always Sort of Listen

Way back on January 24th, while I was preparing for my Quilt Shop Chauffeur duties, Paul Dahl (R Sanity RV rick chauffeur2 copyAdventures) requested a photo of me in my freshly cleaned and ironed Chauffeur’s uniform.  

Not wanting to disappoint Paul, I had a picture taken all dressed up and posted it in my blog. 

Then, just yesterday, I wrote about our BBQ for over 30 of the quilters here at the Sands where I got the job of grilling over 40 hamburgers.  Sure enough, that got Paul’s attention and he commented that “With all that "training", now you can get a job at Five Guys!”

What a great idea, I thought, flippin’ burgers at 5 Guys to make a few bucks plus all the burgers and fries I could eat.  So, off I went to 5 Guys in La Quinta yesterday with my burger flippin’ resume in hand:

5 Guys Burgers doesn’t hire Old Canadian Guys!rick chef copy

That didn’t work out too well as 5 Guys has some kind of policy about not hiring “Old Canadian Guys”!  What’s with that?  Disappointed, I headed back to the Sands sure that my chef’s career of fippin’ burgers was over before it even started.

Lynsi Torres, U.S.’s youngest female billionaire – owns In-N-Outlynsi Torres

Back at the Sands, I grabbed my iPad, sat back in my Lazy Boy and began to look at a few news sites.  What pops up but a story about In-N-Out Burgers and Lynsi Torres the 30-year-old owner/president of the In-N-Out Burger chain and the youngest female billionaire in the United States.  Lynsi apparently gets married as fast as her firm makes burgers as she’s already been married 3 times!

in-n-out

Intrigued by how a 30 year old becomes a billionaire just by selling hamburgers I found out a story older than Colonel Sanders secret recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken – she inherited the company in 2010 following a series of deaths in the family. Torres received half ownership of the company when she turned 30 and will receive the second half when she celebrates her 35th birthday.

In-N-Out’s famous double-cheeseburgerIn-N-Out-Burger_120511-4

IN-N-Out, founded in 1948 by Torres’ Grandparents, Harry and Esther Snyder, now includes almost 280 stores in five states.  Harry Snyder died in 1976. His second son, Rich, served as executive president until he passed away in a plane crash in 1993 at the early age of 41.  Torres's father, Harry Guy Snyder, then took over and grew the chain before he died from a prescription drug overdose in 1999. 

innout5guys1

It seems to me that even though they are billionaires, there is no joy in Burgerville!  So, Paul, I’m going to give up on my chance to earn some money flippin’ burgers – it’s just too dangerous!

Yesterday was the first time we’ve had to turn our A/C before noon.  We made to 11:15am and Paulette was doing some sewing inside so we put the air on to cool things down.  No complaints though as it was another perfect day here in the desert cities of Palm Springs.  I did manage to get in a round of golf in the afternoon as well.

Have a great Wednesday, and thanks again for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment